Men's Shed Worker
- 2 part-time roles available
- Be part of a purpose-driven organisation committed to community development and a social model of health
- Make a meaningful contribution to the health, wellbeing and dignity for all people in northern Melbourne
Your Community Health is seeking enthusiastic Men's Shed Workers to join the Social Support Team, in two part-time roles Monday/Tuesday role - ongoing, part-time (12 hours per week) and Thursday/Friday role - fixed term (until end June 2020), part-time (10 hours per week).
Your Community Health provides a comprehensive range of medical, dental and allied health services and support programs to anyone, through a combination of outreach, client-based and centre-based activities. Our purpose is to enable health, wellbeing and dignity for all people in northern Melbourne by providing responsive and accessible services. We provide priority access to those most at risk of health inequalities and those that may face barriers to accessing traditional health services.
About the role
Reporting to the Social Support Program and Men's Shed Manager, the Men's Shed Workers will work with shed participants, the Social Support Program and Men's Shed team and volunteers to engage with and meet the health and well-being needs of isolated and socially disadvantaged community members.
Your passion and commitment will see you:
- Assist in the planning and delivery of physically and intellectually stimulating programs and activities.
- Create an environment supporting people in meaningful activities, teach and learn from each other and foster relationships that increase self-worth and reduce social isolation.
- Contribute to the further development of the Shed and the services it provides.
- Provide activity options for shed participants to take part in during the day, setting up equipment and resources and provide assistance.
- Work co-operatively as part of the Social Support Program and Men's Shed team.
To succeed in this role you will have:
- Community Development/Services, Health Promotion or other relevant qualifications.
- Relevant and demonstrated experience in community engagement and facilitation of active participation with people who are disadvantaged.
- Experience with working with diverse communities and volunteers, e.g. refugee and newly arrived groups, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities, people with disabilities, older people and carers.
- Ability to relate to men in our community with a caring and respectful approach, in an equal and non-judgemental manner.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Skills in managing time, setting goals and planning work priorities to meet goals and objectives.
What is on offer
You will join a dedicated, caring and talented team, with a positive and supportive culture. We are committed to professional and career development of all our staff and truly value work-life balance. Staff have access to generous not-for-profit salary packaging benefits, discounted gym memberships and work in a great location, with free car parking, close to shops and cafes.
How to apply
Please apply directly at our recruitment hub at https://yourcommunityhealth.recruitmenthub.com.au/Vacancies/.
Applications must address the selection criteria contained in the position description as part of the cover letter.
For more information regarding these roles please refer to the position description. For further enquiries contact Donna Dacey, Social Support Program and Men's Shed Manager on 8458 6774.
Your Community Health is an Equal Opportunity and Child Safe employer who supports inclusiveness and diversity. We are dedicated to attracting and retaining people from a diverse background, including but not limited to, those identifying as LGBTIQ, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander, people from cultural and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds, and people with a disability.