VR General Practitioner - TGD Health Initiative
- Make a meaningful contribution to the health, wellbeing, and dignity for people who identify as transgender or gender diverse
- Be part of a purpose-driven organisation committed to community development and a social model of health
Your Community Health is seeking an enthusiastic and skilled VR General Practitioner to join the GP Medical Practice and Specialist Clinics Team. The VR GP will work as part of a unique and exciting health initiative; the Trans and Gender Diverse (TGD) Health Initiative. Hours and conditions for this role are negotiable.
Your Community Health provides a comprehensive range of medical, dental and allied health services and support programs to anyone, through a combination of outreach, client-based, and centre-based activities. Our purpose is to enable health, wellbeing, and dignity for all people in northern Melbourne by providing responsive and accessible services. We provide priority access to those most at risk of health inequalities and those that may face barriers to accessing traditional health services.
About the role
A Victorian Government initiative, the TGD Health Initiative brings together a consortium of four of Victoria's key health and wellbeing organisations; Your Community Health, Ballarat Community Health Service, Austin Health and Thorne Harbour Health; in collaboration with the TGD community. The TGD Health Initiative provides TGD affirmative health services that reflect and serve the needs of the TGD community.
As the VR General Practitioner, your passion and commitment will see you:
- Provide high-quality general practice and sexual health medical services for people who identify as Trans and Gender Diverse, including:◦mental health sexual health.
- Hormone management.
- Vaccinations and preventative health care.
- Chronic disease management.
- Be the primary provider to support patients to initiate hormone therapy, based on national and international standards of care.
- Maintain high clinical standards in keeping with community accepted standards of care.
- Maintain up to date knowledge, standards, and practices in trans and sexual health in keeping with the service's focus on these areas.
- Establish rapport with clients and communicate complex information in a form that is understood as to support shared decision making and assist clients to make informed decisions.
To succeed in this role you will have:
- Registration with the Medical Board of AHPRA.
- Fellowship with the Royal Australian College of General Practitioner or Royal Australian College of Physicians (Chapter of Sexual Health Medicine).
- Demonstrated experience in the provision of general practice and/or sexual health medical services.
- Demonstrated ability to provide medically related information to clients within a model of empowerment and personal development.
- Sensitivity and the willingness to understand the issues faced by trans and gender diverse people in accessing health services that support their gender identify and transition goals.
What is on offer
You will be fully supported in this role, have access to RACGP accredited training, ongoing mentoring and opportunities for observing experienced GP's in practice; with the trans and gender diverse community. You will be a key member of a multi-disciplinary team that is highly regarded and experienced in developing successful health programs and services for the TGD community.
This is a highly rewarding role where you will enjoy a diverse range of patient experiences and support people to achieve their full potential through medical affirmation processes that are supported by nationally and internationally endorsed guidelines.
You will join a dedicated, caring and talented team, with a positive and supportive culture. We are committed to the professional and career development of all our staff and truly value work-life balance. Employees have access to generous Not for Profit salary packaging benefits, discounted gym memberships and work in a great location, with free car parking, close to shops and cafes.
How to apply
For a copy of the position description or to apply, please go to our recruitment hub at: https://yourcommunityhealth.recruitmenthub.com.au/Vacancies/.
For more information, please refer to the position description. For further enquiries please contact Jeremy Wiggins, TGDiCH Project Manager on M: 0429 115 960.
Your Community Health is an Equal Opportunity and Child Safe employer who supports inclusiveness and diversity. We are dedicated to attracting and retaining people from a diverse background, including but not limited to, those identifying as LGBTIQ, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander, people from cultural and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds, and people with a disability.